Two Points of View on the inclusion of Prescribing into Chiropractic practice

February 22, 2011
By

I have never felt the need to prescribe meds, if I felt a patient needed meds I would refer them to a medical doctor. If the needed their sink unblocked I would send them to a plumber. Of the case for, I think John Triano has made it best however his argument that the slippery slope US Osteopaths walked on is not such a bad path was far from convincing.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This is a 45 minute interview with John J. Triano, DC PhD . He is the dean of graduate education and research at Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College.  He spoke with Brett Kinsler about limited prescription authority for chiropractors and his views on the topic.

Chiropractors in Switzerland have had prescription rights since 1995 JMPT looked at it last year.

Policy Statement against the Inclusion of Drugs in Chiropractic

from the foundation for Vertebral subluxation

There is general agreement throughout chiropractic that we are a drugless profession. The Association of Chiropractic Colleges Paradigm, adopted by most major chiropractic organizations including the ACA, ICA, and WFC, states emphatically:

"Chiropractic is a health care discipline which emphasizes the inherent recuperative power of the body to heal itself without the use of drugs or surgery."

Yet there is an insidious movement within our profession to override the consensus of the majority of the chiropractic colleges, organizations & practitioners that serve our profession and incorporate the use of prescription drugs, including injectables, into patient care.

It is the position of the Foundation for Vertebral Subluxation that the inclusion of drugs within the chiropractic scope of practice would be contrary to the historic and widely accepted identity of the profession.

While some chiropractic schools have offered postgraduate courses in injectable nutrients and local anesthetics, few, if any, accredited chiropractic colleges provide instruction on the use of prescription drugs, including injections of homeopathic medications, hormones, prolotherapy agents, etc.

No chiropractic college clinic employs injectable homeopathic remedies, injectable nutrients, and other legend drugs in the care of outpatients in their teaching clinics. Furthermore, students have no hospital rotations and practical training in dealing with anaphylactic reactions and other adverse effects.

Homeopathic medicine is highly controversial. Furthermore, only three states separately license homeopathic physicians (Arizona, Connecticut and Nevada). They require that an applicant hold a medical degree, complete residency training, and have specialty training in homeopathy. All homeopathic injectables and some oral products are prescription drugs. To have marginally trained DCs practicing an entirely different system of medicine is not in the best interests of the profession or the patient community.

The expansion of drugs into the scope of chiropractic practice would result in an increase in professional liability insurance premiums and the public image of the profession would suffer, as chiropractors could become perceived as third-rate medical practitioners, sometimes using very questionable drugs and medicines. Chiropractors would become part of the iatrogenic drug problem and chiropractic’s impressive safety record could become a thing of the past.

Tiering of the chiropractic profession that would result from the introduction of drugs would lead to two (or more) classes of chiropractors, causing a level of splintering and divisiveness the intensity of which the profession has never experienced.

For the reasons outlined above, the Foundation for Vertebral Subluxation is opposed to any effort that seeks the addition of drugs into the scope of chiropractic practice and calls on all professional organizations and practitioners to reemphasize the definitive paradigm of the profession.

Share Button

Tags: , , ,

14 Responses to Two Points of View on the inclusion of Prescribing into Chiropractic practice

1. Enedina Peretti on March 27, 2020 at 10:08

An impressive share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing a little analysis on this. And he in fact bought me breakfast because I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic. If possible, as you become expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more details? It is highly helpful for me. Big thumb up for this blog post!

2. Albert Swint on March 26, 2020 at 03:29

There are some interesting points in time in this article but I don?t know if I see all of them center to heart. There is some validity but I will take hold opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we want more! Added to FeedBurner as well

3. Nicky Bearup on March 22, 2020 at 15:14

4. Jerald Bramlette on March 22, 2020 at 12:54

When I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove me from that service? Thanks!

5. Teodoro Bradfute on March 22, 2020 at 09:38

There are certainly a lot of details like that to take into consideration. That is a great point to bring up. I offer the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you bring up where the most important thing will be working in honest good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged around things like that, but I am sure that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Both boys and girls feel the impact of just a moment?s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

6. Raylene Kaps on March 20, 2020 at 23:15

WONDERFUL Post.thanks for share..more wait .. ;) ?

7. Ardith Ith on March 18, 2020 at 07:32

WONDERFUL Post.thanks for share..more wait .. ;) ?

8. Julia Linkert on March 17, 2020 at 15:03

Oh my goodness! an amazing article dude. Thank you However I am experiencing issue with ur rss . Don?t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anyone getting identical rss problem? Anyone who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

9. Darell Vassie on March 17, 2020 at 14:33

You should take part in a contest for one of the best blogs on the web. I will recommend this site!

10. Valeria Barre on March 17, 2020 at 13:39

Can I just say what a relief to find someone who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant believe youre not more popular because you definitely have the gift.

11. Palmira Sluyter on March 17, 2020 at 04:57

Nice post. I learn something more challenging on different blogs everyday. It will always be stimulating to read content from other writers and practice a little something from their store. I?d prefer to use some with the content on my blog whether you don?t mind. Natually I?ll give you a link on your web blog. Thanks for sharing.

12. Katherin Santos on March 16, 2020 at 16:45

Hey, Came across this page by accident but absolutely loving the content. Thanks.

13. cellhut promo on August 2, 2011 at 08:12

Whatever you do, avoid having fine prints. They want to know what’s in it for them and they want to see it clearly. This is the problem with some online coupon sites. Being transparent to your customers can help you a lot so make sure to avoid confusing your customers with fine prints.

14. CDC on February 23, 2011 at 14:40

Only bad chiropractic clinicians want to prescribe drugs! No serious chiropractor would choose to perform surgeries or give patients drugs.

We always talk about the art, science and philosophy of Chiropractic and if you lack the skill and if you do not understand the philosophy I guess the easy way out is to push drugs.

Get every new post on this blog delivered to your Inbox.

Join other followers: