Super Bowl most valuable player the son of a chiropractor

February 8, 2011
By

Its generally accepted that chiropractic helps back pain, researchers have methods to measure pain and observe changes during a course of treatment. Measuring performance is much more subjective  and as researchers try to avoid too many variables they tend to avoid sports performance. In the 80s I spent time observing pre season at the New York Joints and San Francisco 49ers. I knew of chiropractic as a treatment for back pain but never considered it as a way for optimising performance until I met 49ers running back Roger Craig and Joe Montana who were using training hydraulic resistance  equipment that I was distributing in Europe. They explained the stresses that American football put on their spine and how they maintained wellbeing using Hydra Fitness machines and chiropractic.

181507_10150104390682164_100582052163_6184449_7786499_nAaron Rodgers the MVP of Sunday nights Superbowl is the son of a chiropractor, not that proves anything however you would have to wonder if chiropractic was a dangerous as people make out why do the clubs allow their stars to be adjusted by chiropractors, but dont allow their players to even go sking.

In Europe chiropractic is still a poor relation to the medical doctors and surgeons when it comes to sports medicine, except at AC Milan where its a chiropractor who runs their sports medicine programme. I have no doubt as chiropractors gain more experience and become better at communicating with elite athletes this will change. England play Denmark this week and sitting on the Danish bench will be Johannes Breum a chiropractor and graduate of AECC.

I guess if you were to ask every successful athlete he would have a medical doctor and a dentist. However a  large proportion of successful athletes have a chiropractor. This is what some of them have to say about chiropractic:

“The team wasn’t just riders. It was the mechanics, masseurs, chefs, soigneurs, and doctors. But the most important man on the team may have been the chiropractor.” – Lance Artmstrong, 7 time Tour de France Champion

“ …as long as I see the chiropractor, I feel like I’m one step ahead of the game.” – Tom Brady, New England Patriots ~ 3 time Superbowl Champion and 2 time Superbowl MVP

“Those are the guys that put me on the field when I didn’t think I had a chance to be on the field. These are professionals.” – Terrell Owens, NFL Wide Receiver

“I believe in chiropractic, and I know it works. You probably know about my long and successful career in football. I’m flattered by the testimonials to my durability. Football is a very rough and vigorous sport. Chiropractic was the key to keeping me in the game.” – Jerry Rice, Wide Receiver ~ 3 time Superbowl Champion and Superbowl MVP

“..lifting weights and seeing a chiropractor on a regular basis has made me a better golfer. I’ve been going to chiropractors for as long as I can remember. It’s as important to my training as practicing my swing.” – Tiger Woods ~ 14 time PGA Championship Golfer

“Without chiropractic, I wouldn’t be able to play consistently throughout the season.” – Johnny Damon, MLB Center Fielder and two time World Series Champion.

“You obviously can’t compete at your fullest if you’re not in alignment. And your body can’t heal if your back is not in alignment. Every track and field athlete that I have ever met has seen a chiropractor at one time or another. In track and field, it is absolutely essential. Chiropractic care is one of the things I think that no one has denied or refuted”
- Dan O’Brian, Olympic Gold Medallist ~ Decathlon

Share Button

Tags: ,

14 Responses to Super Bowl most valuable player the son of a chiropractor

1. Stefaan A.L.P. Vossen on February 10, 2011 at 16:50

In their droves. (that was a reference to the Gonstead “grape squash” move)

2. Fedup on February 10, 2011 at 16:25

Seriously though the problem is how many chiros have actually caused a vad this year in the UK? Probably nobody so to get people to use a new tech when theirs is already effective and safe is difficult, especially if it’s just to make a couple of very biased skeptics happy.

3. Fedup on February 10, 2011 at 16:21

Well if they don’t get the hang of the technique at least their omelette making will improve!!

4. Richard Lanigan on February 10, 2011 at 16:11

Carefull Blue Wode is watching.

Did you see how Blue Wode compared the adjustment to the force of a hanging. I was thinking how could I demonstrate good technique to these ignoramuses.

Yesterday I performed a high velocity low amplitude adjustment on C1 of my partner with an egg in my contact hand and the egg was not damaged. Now if more chiropractors used my egg technique we could prove arterial dissection was due to a congenital defect in the arterial wall and not caused by the adjustment.

The one thing I learned from Tedd Koren is there is a demand for technique seminars so how should I promote my egg technique. Lets call it LEST Lanigan Egg Specific Technique. What do you think, will people come?

5. Stefaan A.L.P. Vossen on February 10, 2011 at 15:03

Thought you’d like the shirt-tie combo, but guess what my other hand is doing…. lol

6. Richard Lanigan on February 10, 2011 at 14:22

Following Edzard Ernst on Twitter has been a real eye opener, he sees himself as a professor of EBM and found a niche in CAM which he has done well from. Someone tell the skeptics what “confirmation bias” is? I slept through most of our research methodology lectures but their comments are unbelievable. I am “anti” because CAM has no positive research, can we copy these tweets and put them on a posting.

Apparently the Chinese have been pulling the wool over every bodies eyes about acupuncture and Blue Wodes tweet yesterday, a link explaining that CAM Accupuncture was really only 50 years old.

I would urge all chiropractors to sign on Twitter and follow these people and will learn so much about how they think, some of it may well be justified but by enlarge its based on opinion and anecdotes. I would remind chiropractors every time to criticize a colleague for commercial reasons it is your own practice you and profession you damage. Like any profession we have our share of arseholes and now the association seem to be working together its in everybodys interest for everybody to co-operate and raise standards.

Stefaan dont know about the new look. Are you running for the BCA council.

7. Stefaan A.L.P. Vossen on February 10, 2011 at 11:40

Tweet from:
    Edzard Ernst
    @richardlanigan i believe nothing,i know the evidence and what it suggests
    My reposte: Sweeping statement! Ed knows some of the evidence, considers the evidence he “believes in” to be the basis of “knowledge”, dismisses the fact that there is no quality research in subgroups of back pain causation- which in my opinion entirey invalidates any conclusions drawn from the available scientific research. The conclusion that doing nothing is as good as anything (i.e. Edzard’s suggested knowledge about back pain research) is the logical conclusion drawn from a reserach base that contains no discriminating parameters for causation, but is anything but a valid statement regarding the validity of certain treatments!
    My conclusion: Ed: quadruple #fail!
    That said, I don’t want Ed to fail, I want scientific thought and research to prevail and bring plausible rationales and solutions to the public, but his conclusions, views and opinions on the efficacy of treatments for back pain are unfortunately, at present, completely worthless due to a lack of understanding about causation within the research base he bases his conclusions on…
    Scientific opinion in drag, nothing more. Sorry Edzard.
    Stefaan
    this is only the beginning

8. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Blue Wode, Blue Wode. Blue Wode said: RT @richardlanigan: http://bit.ly/fNh6rV if its [chiro] so dangerous why do clubs allow players? < b/c they're unaware of delayed strokes? [...]

9. Fedup on February 8, 2011 at 17:21

I agree, I once asked skeptikat if she had ever had elective surgery and if so what evidence, RCT etc did she find regarding the procedure before she went under the knife. Surgery is based on the individuals skill ,knowledge and trial and error. I see a general surgeon and I asked him how many procedures he does are governed or controlled by research studies or RCT’s. He laughed. Not a single one, maybe the way he washes his hands.

10. Richard Lanigan on February 8, 2011 at 16:34

“warned to them” . They take themselves very seriously, and this is what has amused me about the skeptics. Some ask good questions but lets face it, they dont have difficulty finding absolute crap that chiropractors have put on the net about themselves and a regulator that is happy to work for them. The chiropractic profession has brought this all on themselves and until they learn to work together things will only get worse.

I just cant take them seriously, I cant see their purpose in relation to what I do so I cant be angry with them . Unlike Margaret Coats and Peter Dixon they know nothing about chiropractic. They have made their minds up and search the internet for evidence to “prove” their point.

They all watched the Horizon program “Science in question” criticising the evangelical approach of the “climate warming deniers” , The programme clearly explains the scientific method, yet they believe they are objective and scientific. No amount of rational discussion will convince them otherwise.

This is why I am so keen to have a debate with “Skeptics in the Pup”. I know what I am talking about, they dont. They dont realise how little they do know and how many things we do in our lives without RCTs. poor evidence can only take a discussion so far.

11. Fedup on February 8, 2011 at 14:17

More fools who have fallen for the old bait and switch!!

12. Fedup on February 8, 2011 at 13:51

Warming to them is OK, I’m sure they are all pretty decent people, but I feel the same contempt for their views as they do homeopaths and believers in God. I don’t beleive in God and I have only some very strong (personal) anecdotal experiences with homeopathy. My son had a febrile convulsion 1 day after his first vaccination, needless to say neither of my children have ever had anything since, yet Simon Perry, who doesn’t have any children, writes a story in a local paper telling everybody to get their children immunised!!! It’s this blinkered view that I find most annoying and no matter how sound your argument is, like when blue wode was asked by stefaan “what should a patient do with back pain when exercise, physio and drugs havent worked?” they won’t answer or move the goal posts! They type as if they are well informed when in reality if EE hasn’t written it then they know nothing about it.
    I suppose it’s just that people who think they know everything are really annoying to those of us that do!

13. Richard Lanigan on February 8, 2011 at 12:53

I have to say since I started tweeting I have warmed to them in a weird sort of way.

I thought they knew more about chiropractic most of what they say is “moron baiting” and CAM practitioners all seem to respond in the same way, with anger. Its amazing that the chiropractic profession has not given a better account of themselves and that Ernst et al are still happy to lump us with homeopathy and faith healers.

14. Fedup on February 8, 2011 at 11:36

Yes that may all be quite nice, but you know Zeno will contact every one of them and tell them they are wrong because there is no evidence. We all know skeptic barista and Zeno know better than any famous, top of their game sportsman when it comes to chiropractic. Blue wode will just site something by his idol EE to show tiger woods does not have a clue and is falling foul of some god damn snake oil salesman!!!

Get every new post on this blog delivered to your Inbox.

Join other followers: